9.12.2009

Sweetheart Recap from Holly Matz

Miss Montana's Sweetheart recently returned from the National Sweetheart Pageant. Enjoy the following journal entry from Holly, who continues to be an exceptional representative of the program!
This past week I competed in Miss America's National Sweetheart Pageant in Hoopeston, IL. The pageant is comprised of all the 1st runner-ups (or next available runner-up) from the Miss America state pageants. This year was a record breaking year with 41 contestants!
The friendly farming community of Hoopeston, welcomed us with generosity and support. We toured three factories. Did you know that 90% of PAM cooking spray in America comes from Hoopeston? We also toured an 11 thousand acre sweet corn farm (they even let us drive one of the tractors after the tour). The town came together to provide us with great food. We had homemade casseroles, fruit salad, homemade ice-cream and pie, and of course sweet corn. I think the food was one of my favorite parts =)
Of course the highlight of the competition was the three day performance. We performed an opening number called “Small Town Girl”. I was number 36 so I had talent the first night and swim wear and evening gown the second night. I enjoyed every part of the competition! It was exciting to see both Minnesota’s and South Dakota’s Outstanding Teens from 2006 (We competed at MAOTeen together). We had so much to catch up on and it was great to see them again after 3 years.
On Friday, we talked to an elementary school and four of us performed our talents. I showed the kids my jump rope routine. They loved it! When we were leaving a teacher came running down the hall and said “Are you the jump roper? Our class has something to show you”. When I entered into their class room I saw about 30 kids sitting on the floor practicing one of the jumps that I demonstrated. It made me smile for the rest of the day.
The final night was also filled with excitement; we even had a pizza party to celebrate. The top 5 finalists include Miss Akansas- Allison Waldrip (4th), Miss Maryland- Mary King (3rd), Miss California- Jenna Harvey (2nd), and Miss Virginia- Shannon Beam (Miss National Sweetheart 2009).
I would like to extend a huge 'thank-you' to everyone who helped me prepare and be able to attend the competition. Special thanks to Avice, Dr. Glenn Harman, Cami, Mom, Dad, and the Miss MT Scholarship board.
If you're ever in Hoopeston, remember to thank the locals for what they're doing. And don't forget to sample their sweetcorn ;)

1 comment:

  1. Very nice Holly! Thanks so much for the recap of what sounds like a fun and rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete